• The Carlo Law Group

Combining the Pre-Existing Disability with the Subsequent Work Disability

In Bookout v. WCAB (1976) 62 Cal. App. 3d 214, 40CCC704, the Court of Appeal concluded that the proper method for combining the injured worker's pre-existing disability with the disability caused by the subsequent industrial injury was to add them together, rather than combine them using the MDT. The Court explained that it was proper for the workers' pre-existing, non-industrial heart disability consisting of a preclusion from heavy work to be subtracted from the back disability limiting him to semi-sedentary work which was caused by his subsequent industrial injury because the limitation to semi-sedentary work for the back injury overlapped the heavy work restriction for the heart condition. Once the overlapping disability has been subtracted, however, the Court stated that, in combining the disability caused by the subsequent industrial injury and pre-existing disability, the rating for the pre-existing heart disability of avoiding excessive emotional stress (which did not overlap with the back disability) should be added to the rating for the back disability. The court did not apply the MDT, but simply added the 12% rating for the pre-existing restriction from excessive emotional stress to the 65% rating for the back disability, thus producing a combined rating of 77%.


Please also see Dhalbeck v. IAC 135 CAl. App.2d 394 (1955) wherein the WCAB added a previous right hand disability of 33 1/3% to a subsequent burn injury of 49 3/4% for a finding of 83%. This was done by the WCAB without concern, comment, or objection by the parties or an appellate reviewing court. The right hand disability would not seem to overlap with the burn injury and the court appears to have followed a Bookout type of analysis when they simply added the two disabilities together.


Adding the subsequent disability with the pre-existing disability rather than using the CVC is also proper. In ADJ9171432 (Kenneth Evanoff v. City Of Los Angeles)(4/25/16)WCAB commissioners Jose H. Razo, Frank M. Brass, and Deputy Richard L. Newman issued a 100% award that added the subsequent injury with the pre-existing disability. This was significant in that they specifically Cited Bookout and overturned a WCJ decision of 98% that used the CVC to combine the pre-existing and subsequent injuries. They explained that you add the pre-existing and subsequent injuries (after ruling out overlapping disabilities) rather than using the Combined Values Chart (CVC). In this case, the applicant's PD went from 98% to 100%.

24 views

DISCLAIMER: The information presented on this web site is for general informational purposes only. Nothing contained in this site is considered legal advice nor the formation of an attorney/client relationship. You should speak to an attorney to address any specific questions about your particular legal matter.

 

All matters handled by The Carlo Law Group are confidential and protected by the Attorney Client Privilege.

© 2016-2020 The Carlo Law Group. All rights reserved.

Website:  Nindy Design Studio

OUR OFFICE:

1210 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126

PHONE: (408) 292-2003

 

FAX: (408) 292-0350

BUSINESS HOURS: 

M-F 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Closed for lunch daily 12-1

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • arvo_icon
  • LinkedIn - White Circle

Privacy Policy        |        Terms of Use        |        Resources         |         Links

TCLG-logo.jpg
TCLG_icon.png